The Older People project focuses on the care of older people in acute settings, and has been developed in conjunction with the British Geriatric Society. The project considers the pathway of older people through secondary care, beginning in A&E, through to assessment units and inpatient care, and finishing with supported discharge teams. Links with other sectors including primary care, community and mental health are explored, and social care at the front and back end of hospitals are of particular interest.
Also included is a service user level audit, which has been developed in conjunction with the British Geriatrics Society. The aims of adding in a further level of service user benchmarking data is to:
- Provide an overview of comparative change in dependency levels of this cohort of patients
- Complement the organisational level data and to use this data to aid understanding of the key features of high performing services
- Provide data to enable further correlations and analysis to be undertaken e.g. between length of stay and discharge destination
- Continue to share good practice and facilitate networking between participants
This project is for all providers of acute care where older people access their services.
The BGS has also worked with the NHS Benchmarking Network in developing a PREM (Patient Reported Experience Measure) for use with older people in acute settings. It has been developed to specifically obtain feedback from patients about their experiences of care whilst on your ward.
The PREM has been piloted at 4 hospital sites, on both acute older people’s wards and an AMU, and received favourable feedback about ease of use, relevance and areas covered.
This resource is available for acute providers to use within their services on a local level, to administer and analyse in-house.
2016/17 benchmarking project
The 2016/17 iteration of the Older People project collected 2015/16 data. The following outputs are available on the members' area:
- Interactive online toolkit
- Summary pdf reports
- Presentations from the national conference
2017/18 benchmarking project
Older People’s Care in Acute Settings will not run in 2017/18 and will return in 2018/19. A new project for 2017/18, Delayed Transfers of Care, is currently underway.
For queries about this project please contact the Support Team, 0161 266 1797.