National Audit of Care at the End of Life (NACEL)
The three-year project, commissioned by the Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership (HQIP) as part of the National Clinical Audit and Patient Outcomes Programme (NCAPOP), focuses on the quality and outcomes of care experienced by those in their last admission in acute, community and mental health hospitals throughout England and Wales. Outputs from this project will be of interest to those who receive, deliver and commission care, so will have a far-reaching audience.
The NHSBN has a track record of delivering National Clinical Audits, with the successful National Audit of Intermediate Care, being delivered for the last five years. Claire Holditch, NHSBN Director, confirmed, “Our focus at the Network is delivering user-friendly outputs to help participants improve the quality of services for patients and carers. We are delighted to have this opportunity to bring our tried and tested benchmarking and improvement methodologies to the NACEL”.
The scope of the NACEL will now include the following elements:
- A case note review of inpatients in hospital in the last few days and hours of life
- An organisational level audit covering service models, activity, workforce, finance quality and outcomes
- The development and administration of an innovative Carer Reported Experience Measure
- The development and administration of a Staff Reported Measure, and
- Topics for periodic, time-limited ‘spotlight’ audits
You can find out more about the National Audit for Care at the End of Life by emailing email@example.com or calling Project Coordinator, Joylin Brockett on 0161 266 2214.
NACEL Latest News
Data collection is now open for NACEL. Submissions are completed via the members' area.
NACEL Audit Guidance and data specifications for each element of NACEL is now available to download / open.
Please follow the link to the NACEL Audit Guidance, which has the links to key audit documents, below.